Monday, October 10, 2011

Chocolate Spiderweb Cake

I was in a baking frenzy over the weekend. We are getting ready to travel internationally and I always get anxious about getting on an airplane, especially when there's a long distance to cover.  One of the things that seems to calm me down is baking so I picked up some new recipes on Saturday and went to town!

Here's a peek at what I very humbly think is the best chocolate cake out there.  I'm not talking aesthetics here; I'm taking about the cake itself.  Let's face it - my decorating skills could use some work. BUT, if you're in the market for moist, delicious chocolate cake, look no further.  Try this and I promise, you won't be disappointed!  (Recipe below)

View from the top.  The "spiderweb" sort of looks more like a wagon wheel, but man, it was a tasty cake!


My samples slice was gone in a matter of seconds.  Mmm.... chocolate cake for dinner. 

  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat the first 6 ingredients together in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Add remaining ingredients one at a time. Pour batter into 2 greased cake pans. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Let cool for 35 minutes in cake pans on top of cooling racks. Remove cake rounds from pans and place in freezer for additional 10 minutes before adding frosting of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment